Do you dream of traveling Route 66, discovering New York or entering an American university? Before entering the territory you will have to overcome some formalities.
For go to the United States, you must have with you a travel authorization issued online by the American authorities. This is called ESTA: Electronic System for Travel Authorization.
This is an authorization to stay and travel in the United States or to meet and prospect for clients in the United States (business trip). The ESTA does not in any way constitute a work permit.
To obtain it, here are the steps to follow to submit your application.
the ESTA form allows eligible travelers to travel to the United States without a visa, using a travel authorization, with a maximum length of stay of 90 days.
Are eligible for the visa waiver program nationals of 38 countries (including France, Belgium, Andorra, Luxembourg, Monaco and Switzerland) participating in the Visa Waiver Program, and who meet the following conditions:
- Have a valid passport for at least 6 months before the return date.
- Do not have a valid visitor visa
- Traveling to the United States for tourism or business
- Arrive in the United States by air or sea
Make sure you have a biometric passport. France has automatically issued biometric passports since June 2009.
Attention : Travelers in transit through the United States to go to another country must also obtain this authorization.
The steps to obtain the ESTA
Depending on your departure date, you must apply no later than 72 hours before the flight.
The ESTA authorization request for the United States takes place in 5 steps:
- Complete the ESTA form: personal information, country of residence, passport number, date of issue and expiry, state of health, etc.
- Submit your request to the US authorities
- Save your file number
- Make the online payment of the processing fees for your application, which amount to approximately 13 euros.
Before submitting your request, make sure that all the information entered is correct.
The sending of the form will be definitively validated only after having paid the amount of the processing fees (non-refundable in the event of refusal).
Please note, as soon as the form is sent, you will receive an email with a verification code, valid for 30 minutes, which you must validate.
Thanks to your file number, you will then be able to follow the status of your application. If it is accepted, you can print your form with the mention “authorization granted”. In general, it takes 24 hours to obtain the ESTA, but it is possible that it can take up to a week.
The validity period of the ESTA is 2 years. It allows you to travel to the United States as many times as you wish, for a maximum stay of 90 days per stay.
To authorize your boarding on D-Day, the information is transmitted to the airlines, via an advanced passenger information system (APIS).
When you arrive in the United States, the American authorities carry out the verification of the ESTA. You can have it checked yourself, at the various automatic terminals (APC-Automated Passport Control).
If your passport expires, you will have to reapply for ESTA.
Additional documents for ESTA
ESTA gives you the right to be on American soil for 90 days, but to travel to the United States, you must also have a:
- Passport valid for at least 6 months before the return date.
- Return plane ticket proving the exit of the American territory.
- Proof of sufficient funds (credit card, check book) to be able to meet your needs for the duration of the stay.
Don’t forget to subscribe international health insurance. Our WorldPass insurance offers worldwide coverage! Whichever option you choose, it is:
- 100% reimbursement of the actual costs of health expenses,
- full coverage in the event of hospitalization,
- repatriation assistance
- baggage insurance
- liability insurance
- a legal assistant
To meet the requirements of American universities, HEYME has developed special offers adapted to students moving to the United States.
In just a few clicks, find THE formula that suits you, subscribe online and take advantage of full coverage to enjoy your stay in complete peace of mind!
For more information, you can visit our website HEYME World pass.
HEYME WorldPass: the international health insurance par excellence
To cope with the often very high hospitalization costs and health expenses abroad, the ideal is to take out international health insurance such as the HEYME World pass. This type of insurance offers you complete cover for unexpected treatment at its actual cost, direct reimbursement in the event of hospitalization with the medical establishment, as well as medical assistance and repatriation.
And in the event of Covid-19, how does it work?
In the event of Covid-19, HEYME Worldpass guarantees you 100% coverage of your health expenses and offers you:
- direct payment of your hospitalization costs;
- the payment of your expenses beyond €750 directly with the healthcare professional;
- coverage of medical and hospitalization costs related to the 2019 Coronavirus disease if you are a student between 16 and 35 years old;
With HEYME Worldpass, you will not advance any costs except for routine consultations or the purchase of medication.
👉 HEYME World pass international travel insurance