Good hygiene is essential to keep the body in a state of well-being and to prevent common infectious diseases. Do you know the basic principles of good personal hygiene? Here we explain everything to you.
- 1 The different layers of the skin
- 2 Good daily hygiene practices
- 3 The HEYME wellness package
The different layers of the skin
The skin is the largest organ in the human body. In adult humans, the average surface of the skin is approximately 2m².
The skin consists of three distinct layers, the epidermis, the dermis and the subcutaneous tissue, which represent the superficial, intermediate and deep layers respectively, with different thicknesses.
For example, the thickness of the epidermis is between 0.07 mm and 1.4 mm, while that of the dermis is 1 to 2 mm. To renew itself, the epidermis takes about 28 days on average.
The epidermis or the superficial layer of the skin is made up of 4 types of cells including melanocytes which produce melanin, a pigment which protects against the harmful effects of the sun, and keratinocytes which represent approximately 95%. There are also Langerhans cells and Merkel cells.
Good daily hygiene practices
Wash one’s hands
Washing our hands is a simple gesture that we generally tend to do in a hurry and rather superficially. However, it is an important barrier gesture to eliminate bacteria.
Here are the steps for a deep wash, 40 to 60 seconds.
- Wet hands with water and apply enough soap to cover both hands.
- Press the right palm on the back of the left hand, interlace your fingers together and vice versa
- Then rub palm to palm and continue to interlace your fingers
- Press the backs of your fingers against the opposite palm, keeping your fingers close together
- Rinse your hands thoroughly.
Taking care of your oral hygiene not only allows you to display a sparkling white smile, to chew properly and to prevent other dental problems: cavities, gingivitis and other disorders…
Daily oral hygiene reduces the occurrence of periodontal disease, but there are still places that are inaccessible with a toothbrush or dental floss. The formed plaque then turns into tartar, which can only be removed by the dentist. Going to your dentist at least once a year is part of preventing oral disease.
As a reminder, here are some instructions for good oral hygiene:
- If possible, brush your teeth after each meal.
- Use dental floss to remove bacteria lodged between the teeth and not accessible with a toothbrush.
- Change your toothbrush at least three or four times a year.
Private parts are very sensitive and prone to germs. Hormonal alteration, excess humidity and poor intimate hygiene can alter the local flora and cause various infections.
The lack of knowledge on how to perform good intimate hygiene can lead us to do too much, or to use the wrong products.
Cleaning once or twice a day, using neutral pH gels is essential. Avoid using intimate deodorants. In addition to causing irritation and allergies, they can mask odors, which are an apparent symptom of infection.
Here are some hygiene rules to follow:
- The intimate area should be washed from the front to the back, and never the other way around, as this could move germs from the anal area.
- After cleaning, dry the area thoroughly with a clean towel that should be changed regularly.
Beware of public toilets, which are a real breeding ground for bacteria.
Often neglected, the hygiene of the nose must be the subject of particular attention. Regularly eliminate the secretions present in the nasal cavities to ensure optimal breathing and prevent bacteria from infiltrating your body. You can use a seawater lotion. Thanks to its thinning effect, it will allow you to clean your nose perfectly.
Small gesture to adopt: when you sneeze, do it in the crook of your elbow and use disposable tissues as often as possible.
For safe cleaning avoid using cotton swabs. They may be in the perfect shape to do it, but they’re still dangerous. A cotton swab can push excess earwax inside the ear and cause temporary hearing loss.
Also, do not try to extract earwax using toothpicks, pencils or any other sharp objects. This could cause an ear infection or, even worse, perforate your eardrum.
Use a simple tissue around your little finger to wipe the entrance to your ear canal. If you have a disturbing excess of earwax, turn to cleaning sprays sold in pharmacies.
Ear cleaning is not limited to indoors. The outer part must also be cleaned. Dust and other residues that accumulate around the ears and on the pinna can seep into the ear canal and cause disturbances.
The most suitable products for personal hygiene
Each part of the body requires special attention. The products to be used must also meet specific standards.
- For oral hygiene, avoid fluoridated toothpaste. A study of the American Dental Association revealed serious consequences of the use of toothpastes with Fluoride.
- Mouthwashes eliminate bacteria and provide a feeling of freshness.
- For the shower, there are an infinite number of products. Depending on your skin, choose a good bath foam and a cleansing gel with the right pH. On delicate skin, opt for a product with a pH lower than 6. If you have less sensitive skin, use a product with a pH up to 10.
The HEYME wellness package
With the Wellness Pack, HEYME gives you a boost to help you take care of yourself!
Because sport, alternative medicine, nutrition, dietetics, psychological listening and prevention are essential for well-being, HEYME takes care of you physically and mentally by reimbursing you €150 of packages for only €4.5 /month.
A key player in health and well-being among young people, HEYME reimburses your sporting activity up to a maximum of €30/year for membership of:
- A sports club
- A sports association
- A gym
- A sporting event
Alternative medicine package
Because the health and well-being of young people are among its priorities, HEYME offers an alternative medicine package for a consultation in osteopathy, sophrology, acupuncture, kinesiology, therapeutic hypnosis, chiropractic or etiopathy and a psychological consultation package for €40/year, limited to 2 consultations of €20/year each.
Health and well-being prevention package up to €80 per year
Aware that the daily life of young people goes far beyond medical appointments, HEYME offers you the health and well-being prevention package up to 80€/year. This package includes:
- the package helps to quit smoking: nicotine substitute, patch, gum, lozenge up to €30/year;
- the parapharmacy body care package: massage oil, clay, tape, strapping… up to €20/year;
- the dietary and nutritional package, innovative coaching with OVIVA: 1 teleconsultation and 2 weeks of ultra-personalized follow-up up to €30/year.
Your well-being with the health pack at only €4.5/month!
👉 HEYME wellness package