Should I translate my driving license before traveling?

HEYME World pass international travel insurance

“Do I need an international driving license or is a simple translation of mine sufficient? You probably asked yourself this question when preparing for your stay abroad. Before getting behind the wheel, here’s what to do.

Translate your French driving license

The translation of your French driving license is a good short-term solution.

For the majority of countries, it is necessary to have the International Driving Permit (PCI), except for South Africa, Australia (for non-residents), Portugal, Malaysia, Namibia and New Zealand.

To translate your French driving licence, you must go through a sworn translator. here is a list of translatorsbroken down by region.

HEYME World pass international travel insurance

The validity of the French license outside Europe

Depending on the country, you have the right to drive between 3 months and a year, using:

  • Your French driving license, or
  • Your international license accompanied by your French license (sometimes a simple translation is sufficient).

Recall : the international driving license allows you to drive the same type of vehicle in all countries.
Before you leave, find out about the conditions for recognition of your French or international licence.
For more details, contact the Embassy or Consulate of the host country or connect to the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

If there is a reciprocity agreement between France and your destination country, you can exchange your French license for the local licence. Otherwise, you have to retake the theoretical and practical tests for your host country’s driving license.
Obtaining the international permit: the required steps

Before going abroad, you must submit an application for PCI to the prefecture or the sub-prefecture. The steps are taken within a week to several months, so remember to start your steps as soon as possible.

Since May 30, 2018, you must first apply for the international permit online on the official website of the National Agency for Secure Documents (ANTS).

To do this, you must scan or photograph:

  • Your driver’s license.
  • An ID.
  • A proof of residence document.
  • Then send the documents below by post to the address given on the ANTS website:
  • Certificate of online application.
  • An identity photo.
  • A Ready-to-Post letter followed envelope 50 g (with name and address).
  • A scanned copy of proof of residence (for EU nationals, Swiss nationals and Monegasques).
  • You can send a copy of your residence permit or the OFII sticker affixed to your passport.
    Requests made from Paris should be sent by post to the driving license office of the Prefecture of Police.

HEYME WorldPass: the international health insurance par excellence

To cope with the often very high hospitalization costs and health expenses abroad, the ideal is to take out international health insurance such as the HEYME World pass. This type of insurance offers you complete cover for unexpected treatment at its actual cost, direct reimbursement in the event of hospitalization with the medical establishment, as well as medical assistance and repatriation.

And in the event of Covid-19, how does it work?

In the event of Covid-19, HEYME Worldpass guarantees you 100% coverage of your health expenses and offers you:

  • direct payment of your hospitalization costs;
  • the payment of your expenses beyond €750 directly with the healthcare professional;
  • coverage of medical and hospitalization costs related to the 2019 Coronavirus disease if you are a student between 16 and 35 years old;

With HEYME Worldpass, you will not advance any costs except for routine consultations or the purchase of medication.

👉 HEYME World pass international travel insurance

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *